|Name||Charles Allerton Coolidge |
|Born||30 Nov 1858||Boston, Suffolk, MA, USA |
|Census - 1870||22 Jun 1870||Boston, Suffolk, MA, USA |
|Census - 1880||3 Jun 1880||Boston, Suffolk, MA, USA |
|Education||1881||Cambridge, Middlesex, MA, USA |
|Census - 1900||2 Jan 1900||Boston, Suffolk, MA, USA |
|Census - 1910||6 May 1910||Boston, Suffolk, MA, USA |
|Census - 1920||14 Jan 1920||Boston, Suffolk, MA, USA |
|Census - 1930||17 Apr 1930||Boston, Suffolk, MA, USA |
|Died||4 Jan 1936||Locust Valley, Nassau, NY, USA |
|Obituary||2 Apr 1936 |
|Buried||Cambridge, Middlesex, MA, USA, Mount Auburn Cemetery |
|Last Modified||2 Nov 2016|
|Father||David Hill Coolidge, b. 7 Feb 1833, Boston, Suffolk, MA, USA , d. 7 Dec 1907, Boston, Suffolk, MA, USA (Age 74 years)|
|Mother||Isabella Shurtleff, b. 25 Oct 1835, , , MA, USA , d. 5 Mar 1923 (Age 87 years)|
|Married||6 Jan 1858||Brookline, Norfolk, MA, USA |
|Family ID||F1607||Family Group Sheet | Family Chart|
|Family / Spouse||Julia Shepley, b. 6 Oct 1856, St. Louis, St. Louis, MO, USA , d. 21 Jul 1935, Marion, Plymouth, MA, USA (Age 78 years)|
|Last Modified||27 Dec 2010|
|Family ID||F1608||Family Group Sheet | Family Chart|
|Pin Legend||: Address : Location : City/Town : County/Shire : State/Province : Country : Not Set|
|Buildings||Albert Arnold Sprague Memorial Hall at Yale University, New Haven, CT|
From the New York Times -- November 26, 1917
New Music Hall
Building Erected in Memory of Albert A. Sprague is Dedicated
--Special to The New York Times--
New Haven, Conn., Nov. 25 -
The Albert Arnold Sprague Memorial Hall, given to Yale as a home for the Music Department of the university by Mrs. Albert Arnold Sprague and her daughter, Mrs. Frederic Shurtleff Coolidge, was dedicated today.
The building is a beautiful structure in Colonial style, containing lecture, recitation, and sound-proof practice rooms; a musical library, and a concert auditorium holding about 800 persons. It has cost more than $200,000 without furnishings. The Yale Department of Music, since it was organized in 1894, has never had an appropriate or permanent home, but has been housed in various buildings insufficiently adapted to its purposes.
The new building was given by Mrs. Sprague and Mrs. Coolidge in memory of Albert Arnold Sprague of the class of 1859. Not until after Mrs. Sprague's death were the plans finally approved, and when it was found that the amount given by her was not sufficient, the remainder was made up by her daughter, Mrs. Coolidge.
The exercises in the concert hall of the new building were opened at 12:30 o'clock with prayer by the Rev. William Adams Brown of New York. Dr. James Haskell Hewitt delivered a memorial address on Mr. Sprague. The architect, Charles Allerton Coolidge, of Coolidge & Shattuck, delivered the keys of the building to President Hadley, who made a brief address accepting the memorial building on behalf of the university.
There was then an address by Horatio Parker, Professor of Music at Yale, tracing the development and the present status of music in America. He admitted the debt that American music owed to Europe, but said that the development of music here was America's own.
At 4 o'clock there was a dedication concert in the concert room of the hall by the Berkshire Street Quartet, founded and maintained by Mrs. Frederic Shurtleff Coolidge. In place of the second violin, Hermann Felber, Jr., who has been drafted in the army, Edouard Dethier of New York played. The program consisted of Schubert's posthumous quartet in D minor, Beethoven's string trio Op. 9, No. 3, and Debussy's string quartet in G minor.
Mrs. Coolidge took as her guests from New York, in a special car, a large number of musicians and music lovers.
Per Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumbert Architects
Building location: Yale University, New Haven, CT
Building completion update: 2003
Albert Arnold Sprague Memorial Hall occupies a prominent position at Yale University, sitting in the geographic centre of the buildings that define the Yale School of Music. As one of two concert halls on campus, the facility needed to command an electrifying flagship presence and be more welcoming and accessible architecturally.
On the exterior, the lighting has been reconceptualized to create a sense of occasion, invigorating the atmosphere of the facade and projecting the animation of live performance to the street. Illuminated playbill cabinets and festive banners add to Sprague's vitality and provide a necessary communication infrastructure.
Within, the front-of-house spaces benefit from a reconfigured box office and ground floor lobby, with enhanced lighting and material richness contributing to the sense of arrival and theatricality. Refurbishment of the existing 720-seat Morse Recital Hall have improved both its acoustics and its aesthetics. New wood sound and light locks, sound isolating windows, and a control booth at the rear of the orchestra, are intended to bring the recital hall up to modern performance venue standards.
To see more pictures by Jeff Goldberg, please go to -----> http://www.kpmb.com/index.asp?navid=30&fid1=0&fid2=31#credits